Before the age of 3......
I have been thinking a lot lately about my childhood. I have no idea why. I can not sleep at night when I finally go to bed. There is so much going through my mind. I don't know why this is happening now.
I can remember a lot about my childhood. Most people would probably say that's bullshit, there is no way I could remember the things I do.
These are things I can remember all before the age of 3....
My parents fought. A lot. Violently.
I remember them fighting and my dad going to flip over a dresser. If my mom had not jerked me by the arm up onto the bed, it would have fallen on me.
I remember my dad letting me talk on his CB radio and my handle was "teddy-bear"
I remember being inside the house crying and beating on the door while my mom pretended she was leaving me. (She denies this ever happened)
I remember running down the driveway because I was left home alone during one of their arguments. (She swears he was the one who left me and she found me)
I remember my mom just finished waxing the hardwood floor and I spilled some Pepsi on it. Do you remember those 16oz , tall skinny Pepsi bottles? She dumped the rest over my head.
I remember climbing on the counter and making my own cereal and watching cartoons all by myself.
She told me I was a very clean child. Never got dirty. Huh..... Wonder why?
I remember climbing out of my baby bed and going across the hall and looking down the hall and seeing my grandmother staring at me. I found out later that's when my mom figured out what I had been doing. She said when she went to get me up in the mornings my diaper would be off and nothing would be wet. My grandma saw me crossing the hall that night and came to see what I was doing. She caught me dragging the training potty out of the closet, using it, emptying it and putting it back. I then went back to my room and climbed back up into my baby bed. By the way, I was 12 months old. Yeah, totally freaky and no I am not full of shit. My mom tried to potty train me at 10 months, I fell off and hit my head on the cabinet and she figured she'd wait til I was older.
I had a cousin who was 3 yrs older than me. She has Downs Syndrome at at the age of 3 needed open heart surgery. My mom said she showed me my cousin Lisa's scar and told me to NEVER hit her or hurt her. Thank a lot Mom! She said I would sit there and let her beat on me and never once touched her. After her surgery and when she was well again, I taught her how to walks gain and how to tie her shoes. She would go to school when she was older and talk about her sister 'Angela'. The school got concerned and called her home because there were no sisters listed in her paperwork. Guess they thought her sister was kept in the basement or something. They found out I was her cousin. I spent a lot of time with them. Her mom used to dress up like the freaking bobsey twins in hideous 70's matching outfits and take lots of pictures of us!
There are some things I can't remember but was told about.
My dad kidnapped me. The cops caught him and while they were leading him to the cop car my sweet grandma nailed him on the head w/ an iron skillet. Way to go Nana!
My paternal grandmother tried to suffocate me in my first week of life, so my mother says. She put my bassinet next to the wood stove and layered me in blankets. I was boiling in my own little baby crockpot.
I remember being given alcohol to drink. You know, it was hilarious to watch a baby stumbling around.
I remember riding only moms lap while she was driving and drinking AND smoking! What a multi-tasker she was!
When my mom and dad fought, it was bad. In the middle of the night I would leave the house. Yep. 2, 3 yrs old. Running down a country road and going to my uncles house for safety, in the MIDDLE OF THE DAMN NIGHT!
There is more.
Why do I remember more about that time of my life than the later years?
Maybe because those were the best years of my childhood?
yep, ladies and gentlemen.... It all goes down here from there!



6 Comments:
I'm sorry you had such a sucky childhood Ang.
That potty chair thing was amazing, I can't imagine Bekah doing that! Human survival mode is very interesting!
Grant says he can remember when he figured out that when people talked and used words they were communicating. Weird.
I can't even remember drinking my cup of tea this morning but I know I did cause it's empty. Dang.
Ang -
It's amazing to me that all this terrible, horrible stuff happened to you and you're still an incredibly caring woman and an awesome mom.
I'm sorry your parents didn't value you.
We do.
Co-sign what J said :)
I love ya'll!!!!!! I really do!
Angela, I remember things from when I was younger like that too. My first memory ever is of my parents having a very loud fight and my mother sitting on the arm of the chair bawling while my dad is screaming at her. It is a horrible memory but makes me thankful every day that they got divorced and made it possible to have my step-mother in my life. I'm going to co-sign what Jess said too. You are an amazing person and the fact that you overcame all of that just makes you even more so.
You are an amazing person and the fact that you didn't let this stuff effect you in a negitive way is wonderfull.
Post a Comment
<< Home