My Crazy...er...Dysfunctional Life

I'm 34 yrs old and have been married to a pretty great guy named Kenny since Sept. 11, 1999. We have been inseparable since July of 1994. I can't chase him away! LOL Lucky for me! I am the stressed out mom of four crazy kids who I love with all my heart. We have a lot of ups and downs (mostly downs) and a lot of bad luck, but we have each other.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

3 am and thinking of Savannah

Yep, that's right. It is exactly 3am. What am I doing? Reading blogs.

I have no reason for being up this late. I went to bed an hour and a half ago and could not sleep. I was off of work today, which is my usual excuse.

I am tired, just can not sleep. I am afraid to take the Tylenol PM medicine this late, afraid I'll sleep all day.

What is wrong with me? I just have too much running through my mind.

anyway.....

I tried putting the brace on Savannah tonight. Now that she's not sick anymore,there is no reason not to. Did not go over well. I ended up having to go in there to rescue her.

I took it off, tossed it in the floor and snuggled her.

She meanwhile was casting evil, nose running, sobbing looks at the monstrous contraption now on lying on the floor.

I will have to work with it tomorrow to find a way for it to fit her comfortably. I HAVE to do this.

I will say, her legs were spread almost out to the side when I took it off and she screamed and screamed when she finally straightened them out.

My poor, poor baby.

Can I just let this go? Wait til she's older? NO! I can not do that. I also can not make her miserable. What's a mommy to do? Do I drug my baby? You know, Tylenol or something to help her sleep so she will wear it for at least 6-8 hrs a night?? I know they want more, but if I an get that much I would be satisfied.

I will have to find a way.

I WILL NOT make my baby go through another surgery.

I WILL NOT make my baby wear another cast for months.

We can beat this.

Please, oh please, God, let us beat this....

Please let my baby walk....

Please let her be okay!!

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:49:00 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Ang - Thinking of you and your baby girl. Big hugs.

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 12:40:00 PM, Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Angela - I don't want this to come across as me being bitchy, but I think you're just going to have to bite the bullet and leave the thing on her all night. Give her some Motrin or even some Benedryl for a while so that she can sleep. She will get used to it. She's only, what? 15 months? Yes, it's hard having to do these things to your child, trust me, I know this, but if you don't want her to have another surgery, your best bet is to keep her in that brace for as long as you can every night. You have to do what's best for her. She will hate it for a while, but she will get used to it and it will just become a part of her life. An annoying part, but not the end of the world.

Sorry if this sounds harsh. I fall into the camp of "I'm the parent and I will determine what's best for your health, doesn't matter if you like it or not, that's how it's going to be."

It's not easy to do and it's not fun having your child be upset and angry over a medical need, but it's just that - a medical need. Feel sorry for her all you want - that's normal and fine - but don't slide on that care just because you feel bad for her.

Again, I don't want you to think I'm being a bitch (or, a bigger bitch than usual). I do know how hard it is to do these things.

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 6:27:00 PM, Blogger Josi said...

Angela, I'm sorry you are having to go through this with Savannah but Julia is probably right. She is going to hate it but she will be even more miserable in the end if she has to have another surgery and be in a cast or if it hinders her walking when she is older. You have all of my sympathies and just thinking what you, Savannah and Kenny are going through breaks my heart. You can be strong and do it though. I know you can.

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 8:29:00 PM, Blogger Angewl said...

I know I have to do this.

But if her legs are straight out to the side and it hurts her, something is not right.

there is another reason the all night screaming could be a problem. I mean other than heartbreaking.

My job.

I know that sounds completely selfish.

But if she is screaming and crying, I will be unable to work.

So, there goes that.....

Savannah is the most important thing. It sucks that the little bit of headway we made will be shot to hell, though.

I guess when I dope her up, I'll need to take some shots as well////

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 9:33:00 PM, Blogger Washington Crunchy Mama said...

Ang ~ Hang in there. I was going to suggest the Benedryl for her while she gets used to it, then she wouldn't be screaming and you can do your job. But you are the Mom, and you know what's best for her, don't ever forget that. (((hugs)))

 
At Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:11:00 AM, Blogger Jess said...

Ang - The MINUTE the doctor's office opens in the morning call them. Tell them you are concerned that her brace does not fit her correctly and that she seems like she's in pain. Don't let them put you off. When you get in there, have them put her in her brace, re-check the fit and explain to you what the correct fit is and why it has to be this way. IF everything is perfectly fine with the fit, ask them how to make this easier on her. (I know the brace is brand new, but it's still possible that it doesn't fit her correctly, too tight, too loose, or hitting her in the wrong place.) Short version - this brace could mean the difference between surgery or not. Make your doctor your ally and have them help you find a solution.

Poor little girl. You and Kenny have been throuh so much - but you two can do this - and Savannah will be better off for it.

I wish I could hug you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home